Karahi Gosht is a famous Pakistani and South Asian dish. The meat can be goat, lamb, or chicken. In this case, I used boneless chicken and used the National Karahi Gosht Spice Mix. National has a bunch of spice mixes that you can buy at your local South Asian store, even No Frills and other grocery stores have them too. Another good brand is Shan. Although, you can always just use fresh ingredients and spices.
The funny thing was when I first made this Karahi Gosht dish, I thought Karahi was Karachi (a world city in Pakistan), pretty similar right?
Below, I will show you the ingredients you will need, what is included in the National Karahi Gosht Spice Mix and lastly how to prepare and cook this dish. Just to let you know the cooking methods on the National box were not the best. They said to cook the chicken on low for around 30 minutes, but if you do that the water will never become a gravy. Also, they said to add 5-6 tomatoes, which in my opinion is too much. However, I am no chef.
What you will need:
1 kg Boneless Chicken
1 medium sized tomato
1 medium sized onion
2 tbsp of Ginger/Garlic Paste (you can grind fresh ginger and garlic to make a paste)
1 green chili (more if you love spice)
4 tbsp of Ghee
Vegetable oil as much as you like
1 packet of National Karahi Gosht Spice Mix (50 grams)
1 cup of water
National Karahi Gosht Spice Mix Ingredients:
Red Chili, Salt, Cumin Seed, Coriander, Ginger, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Garlic, Nutmeg, Mace, Cardamom, Monosodium glutamate (E621) as flavour enhancer, and Bay Leaf.
May contain mustard, gluten and tree nuts.
Marinate the chicken overnight (in the fridge) with 2 tbsp of Ghee, 2 tbsp ginger/garlic paste and 1 packet of National Karahi Gosht Spice Mix (50 grams). Make sure to massage the spices and ghee all over the chicken.
How to Cook:
- Put the stove on high and put 2 tbsp of ghee on the karahi (South Asian bowl-shaped frying pan) along with a few tbsp spoons of vegetable oil (you can put as much oil and ghee as you like)
- When the oil is bubbling, meaning that it is hot, it is time to put your diced onions. Fry the onions
- After the onions are crispy and brown, it is time to put your marinated chicken in the karahi along with 1 diced tomato and 1 chopped green chili
- Next, put one cup of water in the pan to make the gravy
- Cook on high till the water is nearly gone and a gravy is formed and when the oil separate from the gravy
- Afterwards, you must cover the karahi for 10 minutes to make the chicken tender from the inside
- Can garnish with chopped ginger and coriander leaves.
- That’s it, simple. (As brown people say). You are finito!
This can be served with naan, roti or rice. Hope you enjoyed! As always, like, comment, share and be awesome.
2 thoughts on “Apun Ka Karahi Gosht Recipe – Translation: My Chicken Karahi Recipe”